Sofia Goggia after the injury: “I was desperate, dead inside. I will not force recovery”

Immediately after the injury, the Winter Sports Federation's press release sent an optimistic message: “This time I will be able to get back up.” But deep down, he didn't believe it. Too much pain, the accident was too serious, the bitterness of having been injured during controlled training. “I saw the future as a black sign, I was desperate, I was dead inside,” Sofia Goggia admits today. Corriere della Sera, 45 days after the fall at Ponte di Legno, near Temù, in the province of Brescia. “Multi-fragmentary displaced joint fracture of the right tibial pilon”, we read in the bulletin, a sentence for the skier who is thus obliged to say goodbye to the possibility of winning the Ski World Cup for the fifth time this season alpine that she dominated. until this moment. “I had had fractures before, but I had never had a fracture this complicated,” adds the 31-year-old, “it left me in one of the most difficult periods of my life.” Goggia also recounts the delicate intervention of the doctors, Professor Accetti and Doctor Panzeri, who operated on her: “They had to make a longer cut to separate the tendons and nerves and place an “L” shaped plate. . A lot of work, fortunately successful.” Despite the deepest despair, the skier has already tried, during the helicopter rescue operations, to strengthen herself “by thinking of the tragedies of the world, by trying to go beyond my suffering”. An invitation to herself to stay focused on the goal: to get back on her feet and in good health. But rehabilitation was not – is not – easy. “I went from the bed to the couch , then how little I could stand. At that point I almost passed out because the blood was flowing to my foot and excruciating pain started. Even making the coffee and bringing it to the table was a challenge , if we didn't crawl like a sailor,” he continues. Revealing that she dedicated these weeks to studying different subjects, to make the most of her free time and be able to quickly pass the exams for the political science course in which she is enrolled. His injury, he repeats, was “difficult to accept”, because it occurred in training and not in the race “when I risked it at 230 km/h”. And now a certainty: the return to skiing is coming, but not around the corner: “I will not force it, but upon my return the sports recovery will be exponential,” he promises, “the standard time for the return is six o'clock. month. Once the bone is fused and if I have a physique suitable for skiing, I can also go earlier, I often came back earlier, shortening the time, which I don't want to do now. But that doesn't mean he has to wait the usual six months. The latest tests have shown that a bone callus is forming, but you will need to be patient to make sure you are okay.”

Read also:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *